Monday, April 03, 2006

Beating the Monday Blues

Thank you again, The Voluptuous Vegan! I have not made an even moderately tasting meal from this cookbook, everything has been outstanding. (Okay, that's a little overstated. I should say that 98% of the recipes I've made have been tremendous.)

Staying true to my "spring-y inspiration," I prepared Chickpea Crepes with Grilled Spring Vegetables, Tofu"Cheese," and Spinach-Basil Sauce. The synopsis:

  • I was a little intimidated by crepes before beginning, but they were a snap. The chickpea flour was not overpowering and the chives added a little "herbiness."
  • The grilled veggies were awesome: asparagus, zucchini, red bell pepper, scallions, and artichokes. The artichokes won't be making further apperances in my kitchen.
  • The spinach-basil sauce was out of this world! I'm using that as my "go-to" pesto from now on.
  • The tofu "cheese" was not called that tonight as B wouldn't have even tried it because it's "something posing as something else." The tofu was great, it had a slight cinnamon taste, was nice and moist, and will be a great topping for salad or putting on a sandwich.


Doesn't it look delicious!

Spinach-Basil Sauce (The Voluptuous Vegan)

3/4 lb fresh spinach
4 T EVOO
1 med. onion, finely chopped
3 cloves garlic
1 c fresh basil leaves
1 scallion, chopped 1-in. pieces
1 t yellow barley miso
1 jalapeno, stem removed, halved
1/2 c water
2 T pine nuts (I used walnuts)
1 t sea salt
2 T fresh lemon juice
  1. prep spinach-cut off bottom few inches of stems and wash. with just water, cook in large pot or skillet over med. heat, tossing with tongs frequently to wilt leaves. transfer to blender.
  2. heat 2 T EVOO in saute pan. add onions and garlic, cook over med/low heat until softened and beginning to brown. add to blender.
  3. add basil, scallions, miso, jalapeno, water, nuts, remaining 2 T EVOO, and salt to blender. blend until smooth. (you don't NEED the remaining 2 T EVOO, I didn't use it)
  4. add lemon juice no more than 1 hr. before serving. heat sauce gently until warm. add water to make thinner if needed.

No comments: