Sunday, April 30, 2006

Copycat

I have seen and read about Sloppy Lennies for a while and decided to try them out. I was dubious of the recipe because I purchased the McDougall book (12 Days to Dynamic Health, I believe) in a moment of "i need to lose 10lbs immediately" and was sorely disappointed. I browsed a couple of different recipes for the red little guys and came up with my own version.

The result...fantastic! I have been planning on preparing SL since Wednesday but hadn't purchased the crusty bread to pair with it. After the dish was put together and simmering, I quickly jetted to Wegman's for crusty bread. I came across two delightful little sourdoughs packaged together. It was fate.

Here's where the copycat thing rears it's ugly head. Leslie of Eat Peace Please had her first Bread Bowl recently and used it for her Sloppy Lennies. I couldn't resist with these two precious individually sized sourdoughs. I really do have original ideas...sometimes.


Sloppy Lennies

1 med onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

saute in a bit of canola oil

2 c veg stock (or water, I used veg stock)
1 c red lentils, rinsed
14 oz tomato sauce
1-2 T tamari

add liquid to deglaze pan. stir in lentils and sauce. let come to a simmer.

1 jalapeno
1 red pepper
2 carrots, processed in food processor
2 handfuls of kale, processed in food processor

add in the rest of the veggies. bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes. serve with crusty bread. yummy.

4 comments:

Harmonia said...

This looks great!

Do you have any veg restaurants over by you? I was in Rochester a few weeks ago and knew they used to have one years ago but didn't know if it was still there. I know your neighborhood is just a hop/skip so I thought I would ask. Who knows when I will be back to that area but I was just wondering.

Harmonia said...

Thanks for the suggestions!!! Also for the info for the containers!

Harmonia said...

Hi there! Just checkin in. Hope to read more of your posts soon!

Eat Peace Please said...

Whoa! I just found this one too! Looks very familiar! By the way, my Sloppy Lenties are always fat-free. I just start a med-size pot with boiling water, add the lentils, simmer, then start adding the veggies, sauces and spices. I use a straight-up tomato sauce so there's no junk or fat in there. Then I just boil everything and there's no need for oil. Yours looks great!