Monday, April 14, 2008

The Indian Feast

As promised...


Pictured clockwise from left to right starting at the top: Coconut Rice with Almonds, Spicy Dahl with Tomatoes, Spinach Dahl, Dhal with Coconut, and Pullao with Peas. All recipes are from Curried Favors by Maya Kaimal MacMillan, an old roomie favorite inherited from L as I now claim full ownership as it has been in my possession for over one full year. In my limited opinion and exposure to true Indian cuisine, this is a great book. Everything I've made has been a success.




My favorites of the night have to be the Coconut Rice and the Spicy Dahl with Tomatoes (featured in a previous post). Both are very simple and also cheap!

Spicy Dhal with Tomatoes
What you need:
1 C yellow split peas
2 1/2 C water
1/4 t. tumeric

1/4 t. cumin seeds
1/4 t. mustard seeds
1/4 t. crushed red pepper
2 T. veg oil
1 C. chopped onion
1 t. minced garlic
2-3 green chilies (serrano, Thai, or jalapeno), split lenghtwise but I mince them

1 C. chopped tomatoes, in the winter, I use canned and drain them

1 t. sald

2 T. cilantro, I used a little bit of parsley as I didn't have cilantro

What to do:
1. in a med saucepan, bring dhal, water, and turmeric to a boil; reduce heat, cover and let simmer 30-45 minutes until peas mash easily with the back of a wooden spoon

2. while peas cook, heat cumin seeds, mustard seeds, and crushed red pepper in oil over medium-high heat until mustard seeds begin to pop. reduce heat to med, add onion, garlic, and chilies. cook until onion is soft.

3. add tomatoes and stir until soft. they should keep their shape.

4. mash the peas with spoon until they are roughly broken up. add tomato and spice mixture, stir in salad, and bring to a boil. add more water if needed to keep a pour-able consistancy.

5. remove from heat and garnish with greens


I also made my lil' bro homemade Chicken Noodle Soup. We thought he had strep, which might still be the case, but now has been diagnosed with Mono as well. I hope you enjoy it!


i

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So, you think you can just steal my cookbooks? That looks like enough chicken soup to cure several cases of mono/strep.